Our GROWTH Curriculum
St. Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Primary School's mission is to 'Grow Together in God's Love'.
Through our curriculum offer, we strive to develop the skills, knowledge and learning attitudes of our pupils so that they may become the person they are called to be.
By incorporating our mission as the foundation of our curriculum, it ensures Gospel values are at the core of every subject.
We have used the acronym of GROWTH to create our bespoke, whole school curriculum:
G = Gospel values help us to grow in God's love
R = Resilience to overcome challenges
O = Opportunity to shine
W = Wonder and Awe
T = Time to talk and collaborate
H = Holistic and inclusive
Through our bespoke curriculum offer, the children will:
- Develop in their social and moral purpose, as they build their sense of uniqueness and self-worth as an individual and as a member of our school family.
- Be offered opportunities to nurture their individual talents and to achieve their true and full potential.
- Develop their understanding of their local and national heritage and their role in modern Britain today.
- Embrace all that a multi-cultural Britain has to offer them
- Develop their understanding of the world
- Appreciate the beauty and excitement of learning and experiencing things for the first time.
We give high priority to teaching the fundamentals of reading, writing and maths every day to ensure that all pupils acquire the basic skills for learnng and life, and these skills are used and practiced across other subjects.
Read, Write Inc is used for the teaching and learning of phonics in Early Years and Key Stage 1.
We teach the National Curriculum and Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum using a wide range of strategies. We give children opportunities to work on their own, in pairs and in groups. We value the importance of talk as a tool for learning and invest time in this.
It is important to us to provide a broad range of exciting, relevant and creative opportunities that enrich the children's learning, including trips, visits, visitors, outdoor learning and links with our church.
If you wish to find our more about our curriculum, please contact school to discuss further.
By clicking on each subject tab, you will see how the GROWTH values are incorporated into each subject area.